Pigglettoes Café in Yeppoon is the tasting space and cellar door for Monkey Pig Brewing.
Based in the same ‘pink’ shed on Jabiru Drive, Yeppoon as the brewery, you can sit in the tasting space and enjoy a paddle of our craft beer or cordial, have a long lunch or afternoon tea while watching (& smelling) the beer making magic happening next door.
What about those names!
Pigglettoes, comes from when we held lazy summer dinner parties in our 1st straw bale house. Building with straw bales leaves lots of straw for mulching veggie gardens & stacking in compost bins. We used to make all our guests, dressed in their finery, come into the garden to pick or collect the ingredients for dinner & take the scraps out afterwards. They always came back inside looking like well fed, but very muddy little pigs- or Pigglettoes! Our container gardens coming soon under the shed pergola, will be reminiscent of those pick & cook days.
Monkey Pig, is a nod to one of our favourite 90’s TV classics ‘Monkey Magic,’ where the characters Monkey & Pigsy follow Buddha through mystic lands looking for adventure and a place to call home. Like Monkey & Pigsy we have followed our ‘work’ around this incredible country, learning new things, making good friends & finding a shared passion for good food & great craft beer. After 20 years of exploring we realised it was time to come home to family and friends, share what we have learned and help sow a little ‘Monkey Magic’ of our own.
We have 8 Australian grown and processed coffee blends from Byron Bay, Northern QLD and Byfield, ranging from the very mild to keep you up at night. We also have a range of 20 specialty teas blended in the Blue Mountains near Sydney from sustainable, responsibly sourced local and international plantations. If Tea & Coffee isn’t your thing we have an awesome range of drinking chocolates & chai latte mixes, which we sell along with our specialty tea and coffee blends individually and in mixed gift baskets.
Our cordials are made in house from locally and Australian grown seasonal produce. They are low in added sugar, getting their sweetness from the fresh fruits they are made from. The flavour varies from batch to batch depending on growing factors and the fruit varieties used. We sell our sparkling cordials in house by the glass & Jug ($5/$14) and as take home concentrates for $18/litre. Bring your own clean bottle or buy one of our glass swing top bottles to use as a ‘swap & go’ bottle for $2.50.
Our food menus are currently based on Indian, Spanish, Asian, Tex-Mex & Tropical flavours. We offer individual lunch options, including rice paper rolls ($9), wraps ($9), enchilada’s ($12-$15) & spiced meat sticks with salad ($15-$18), as well as share platters featuring a range of spiced meat sticks, rice dishes, unique salads and a selection of dips sauces & chutneys to suit each flavour or style ($18-$20pp- min. 2 people). We also have a range of sharable snacks & entrée plate’s featuring our spiced & roasted nuts, dried fruits, pickled veggies and our spreads dips & moles ($5-$15). Many of our products are naturally gluten free…
Later this year we will be taking enrolments for our small group cooking classes starting in February 2019 and in May 2019 we hope to open our providore, a gourmet food shop, where we will sell all the homemade sauces, dips, chutney’s, relishes marinades, mole’s, dried and semi dried local fruits, nuts and dukkha’s, plus some other very special products from other local food artisans.
Don’t forget, we have always have 8 Monkey Pig Brewing beers on tap for customers to taste in either a single glass or paddle of 4.
We run our businesses using the 3 pillars of sustainability: Environmental Stewardship, Economic Resilience and Community Engagement.
- We make all our fresh and preserved products in-house using sustainably produced home grown or local products and suppliers with low carbon foot prints and minimal environmental impacts whenever possible. If we can’t buy CQ local we buy Australian goods and services from companies with similar social and environmental values as us.
- We use only recyclable and/or biodegradable packaging and labels. We also operate a swap and go system for our re-useable drink containers and kegs, encourage our customers to bring their own cups and containers and to bring back un-needed items like picnic baskets and utensils.
- We have used recycled and repurposed materials and equipment to set up both businesses and have opted for low energy use / highly efficient plant and equipment to reduce our resource use both now and in the future.
- We take all our compostable and biodegradable kitchen and brewery waste home for use on our gardens and fruit trees or to sell as compost to other local producers.
- We support local organisations and clubs through tailored fundraiser packages and events. Feel free to come into the shed and talk to us about how we can help your next fundraiser event.
We host a food van & taster’s night once a month to help showcase other local food businesses & to create a community food hub.
We support other local micro businesses and are happy to promote and supply retail shelf space for products that match our business and environmental values. If you have a product or service that you feel would work well with our vision for a healthier, happier, resilient lifestyle and environment for CQ then come in and talk to us about how we can work together.
We live locally, respect our local environment, buy local products and services and invest in our local community.